Are you looking to buy or hire a motorhome or campervan but are put off by the price? Don’t be!
We’ll tell you how we got into van life without breaking the bank – and how you can do the same.
Hi, we’re Gav and Trudi – otherwise known as the Motorhome Hobos – and we want to make it easy (and cheaper) for you to get started in van life.
Our free ebook tells you about how we got started and includes 7 vital checks you must make when searching for and test-driving a used motorhome or campervan. Miss any of these and it could cost you a small fortune!
And if you’re thinking about hiring a motorhome for a UK staycation, we highlight all the questions you need to ask an RV rental company before you hit the road. (And it needn’t cost anywhere near as much as recent TV programs would have you believe!)*
DOWNLOAD OUR FREE EBOOK THEN DIVE DEEPER INTO OUR SITE
If you already own a motorhome and are a seasoned van-lifer, we hope you find the info and stories on our site helpful and inspirational.
See, it’s not just practical motorhome stuff we cover on this website: we want to go way deeper into the culture, psychology and even spirituality of van life…
Living or travelling in a motorhome, campervan or RV – either full or part time – has to mean more than just driving to a site, pitching up and sitting in front of a screen all night…as if you were still living in a house…
It’s got to nourish your soul in some way! It’s got to make you feel more alive than anything else you do!
To our way of thinking, van life is about freedom and reclamation. Freedom from the 9 to 5, freedom from the system, and the reclamation…of your own life.
This is what having a motorhome means to us and if this resonates with you – whether you’re looking to get your own van or just rent one for a week or two – please explore our site and subscribe to our free monthly newsletter.
Some of the best content on motorhome hobos…
These are just some of the things we’ll be looking at here…
- Van Life – The Call to Adventure – why we think van life is more than just travelling from A to B and how it meets a need for adventure that is programmed into our DNA. Here we’ll tell you about our old van and cover things like campervan conversion
- Vintage Vans and Motorhomes – if you’re still at the stage of looking for an RV or campervan our gallery will give you a flavour of what you might be able to buy – without breaking the bank! There are some really good used motorhomes and campervans out there for as little as £5000
- Road Trip Tips and Ideas – planning a road trip and making sure your van is up to the task. Plus, see the essential items we always carry in our van and read the stories of the spectacular routes and day drives we’ve taken in the UK
- Wild Camping in a Motorhome – with some sort of freedom returning this year – and if you’ve not ventured into the wild yet – find out how to do it right, stay safe and keep out of trouble
- Campsite Advice – understanding UK campsite rules and regulations, especially important now since the pandemic
- Motorhome Rental – if you’re thinking of renting a motorhome or campervan for a UK staycation – or if you’re visiting from overseas – we’ll tell you the vital questions you need to ask any RV hire company before you hit the road
- Van Life Health and Wellbeing – ideas and practises to keep you physically fit and mentally healthy on the road – especially important for full-time van-lifers or if you’re touring for extended periods
- Pilgrimages and Spiritual Journeys – tips and ideas about how to turn ordinary road trips into deeply meaningful, memorable, and even spiritual experiences by following some ancient routes and visiting some of the UK’s most sacred places
Older campervans and motorhomes – freedom on a budget!
One of the main points we hope to get across on this site and in our ebook is that motorhoming – and the freedom it brings – can be done on a budget…
We picked up our old VW T4 Autotrail motorhome (on the right, above) for £6000 back in 2017. We’ve spent almost as much again since then getting her fixed up properly, but this is nothing compared to the cost of much newer motorhomes that are way out of reach of average folks like us.
We simply didn’t have a spare £50K sitting in the bank!
The thing is, there are plenty of good older campervans out there as we highlight in our vintage vans and motorhomes gallery.
Take a look for some inspiration. It’ll give you some idea of what you might be able to find – without needing to take out a second mortgage!
Road trips, pilgrimages, and spiritual journeys
As you delve deeper into our site you’ll get a flavour of our van life philosophy.
Every trip contains the seeds of ancient wisdom, as if the ancestors are tempting you out of your comfort zone and into unknown worlds, inviting you to try to understand this human journey a little bit better.
It might seem a bit strange but we see our old van as travel guide, teacher and guru, leading us to where we need to go and what we need to learn about life.
This is what van life can do for you. Freedom flows through your veins when you turn the key.
Since getting our motorhome she’s taken us all over England, Scotland and Wales and we’re looking forward to our first journey across the water to Ireland or maybe France.
But when time is short, we’re more than happy to stay local and enjoy the peace and beauty of the Suffolk Coast.
Download our free ebook and latest newsletter!
When you subscribe to our mailing list you’ll get our free ebook ‘Getting Started on the Freedom Trail – what your motorhome, campervan or RV manual probably won’t tell you‘.
You’ll also get our latest monthly newsletter (out on the first weekend of each month) – and access to all the back issues as well! We really don’t want you to miss a thing.
The ebook is nearly 60 pages of van life hints and tips to help you get the most from your motorhome adventures and it includes vital information if you’re still in the process of looking for a van or are just starting out.
The ebook will help you…
- Decide what type of motorhome or campervan best suits your needs
- Look out for all the right things when viewing and test driving a motorhome
- Choose which van life essentials you’ll need before you hit the road
- Feel safer and more confident as a motorhome driver
- Avoid the mistakes we made: we’ll tell you what we did wrong!
Hire a motorhome – try before you buy
If you’re really keen to get into van life but haven’t found the right vehicle yet, have you thought about hiring a motorhome or campervan?
RV rental offers you the chance to dip your toes in the van life water to see if you like it, rather than diving in at the deep end and spending thousands on a motorhome only to find out it’s not for you.
And, of course, with our road trip planning tips, not only do you get to test-drive van life, but you’re sure to have an epic adventure too.
The thing is that you can hire a good-sized campervan for a lot less than you think. However – and this is the important bit – there are several things you need to know before you go ahead and hire a motorhome…
We’ll tell you all you need to ask a motorhome hire company before parting with your hard-earned cash.
Van life health and wellbeing
We’ve recently added a new section that aims to keep you mentally fit and healthy on the road, especially if you are a full-time van-dweller. Van life health and wellbeing is an area that has been overlooked for too long and we want to put that right!
The thing is that more and more folks all over the world are looking for alternative ways of living and van life is a growing movement – and it’s not always a bed of roses!
You’ve only got to watch the film, Nomadland, to see what we mean. Just as with a more conventional lifestyle, van life has its own challenges and sometimes us motorhomers can feel run down, overwhelmed, or stressed out.
Feeling better in yourself – physically and mentally – will help you enjoy your van life adventures even more.
So, we’ll look at several ways to keep you physically and mentally healthy on the road, such as addressing emotional needs, taking time out in nature and practising things like mindfulness, meditation, and self-hypnosis to deal with things like stress…
Motorhome gifts and accessories
If you already have a van of your own you will, at some point, want to buy some accessories for it. We’ve bought a number of things over the last four years, from simple products costing just a few pounds, to more expensive items like solar panels.
So, whether it’s cheap essentials you’re after before you hit the road or more expensive items like satnavs, we’ve got it all in our campervan and motorhome gifts and accessories shop. There are some great items that make perfect gifts for Christmas and birthdays!
Hit the button below where you’ll find motorhome gadgets, kitchenware, cleaning products, clothing, interior decor ideas, and more. And we’ll tell you some of the things we’ve bought for our VW Cree.
Best books for holiday reading
One of the things we love to do – especially when the weather is not so good – it to hunker down in the van with a cup of tea and a good book.
In our Favourite Van Life and Travel Books we review some of what we think are the best books in the genre from authors such as Raynor Winn, Robert MacFarlane, Martin Dorey and other best-selling writers.
We add new reviews regularly so bookmark the page and check back often! You’ll certainly find some inspiration for your next road trip adventure…
Get in touch with us!
We’re always adding more content to this site so make sure you subscribe and get your free ebook so that you don’t miss a thing.
As a subscriber you’ll be the first to know about new content and you’ll get exclusive monthly newsletters, not available to anyone else.
And if you have any questions or suggestions for new content you’d like to see on our site, please contact us. We welcome all enquiries and would love to hear of your campervan or motorhome adventures.
We’ll see you on The Freedom Trail!
* In episode 1 of Motorhoming with Merton and Webster, they mentioned that their motorhome cost £300 per night to hire. We think this is far too much!