Motorhome Hobos – Van Life Without Breaking the Bank
Thinking about buying a motorhome or campervan? Confused about which model to go for or put off by the price? Don’t be!
We want to make it easier (and cheaper) for you to find your ideal RV and enjoy motorhoming on a budget.
But before you go splashing any cash, we want to give you some advice about the pitfalls to avoid…
If you are looking to buy a motorhome or campervan start here by reading 13 things you must check on a used RV. It could save you some serious money, like it did us.
Then check out the essential 4 steps we describe in our ebook to help you find your perfect motorhome.
If you’re considering hiring a motorhome for a road trip holiday check out what you need to know about RV hire before you hit the road.
And if you already have a motorhome or camper and want to make your next adventure more epic, grab your free road trip ebook…
Who are the Motorhome Hobos?
We’re Gav and Trudi (AKA the Motorhome Hobos) and we’ve been motorhoming since 2017.
We like nothing better than to go road-tripping in our old van (below). We’ve created this website to share some of our experiences – what we got right and what we got wrong.
Subscribe to our Free Monthly Newsletter for exclusive motorhome hints and tips and ‘behind the scenes’ subscriber only content. As a subscriber, you’ll get access to all back issues as well!
As you’ll see, it’s not just practical motorhome stuff we cover on this website and in our newsletters. We want to go way deeper into the culture, psychology and even spirituality of van life…
To our way of thinking, van life is about freedom and reclamation. Freedom from the 9 to 5, freedom from the system, and the reclamation…of your own life.
This is what having a motorhome means to us and if this resonates with you please dive into our pages and blog posts.
EASILY FIND WHAT YOU’RE LOOKING FOR…
To save yourself time on our site, type in a word or two in the search bar below to help you find related content or check out our FAQ page where we’ll answer your van life questions. Or just scroll down to see a list of our most popular pages…
Some of the best content on motorhome hobos
These are just some of the things we’ll be looking at here…
- Vintage Vans and Motorhomes – if you’re still at the stage of looking for an RV or campervan our galleries will give you a flavour of what you might be able to buy – without breaking the bank! There are some really good used motorhomes and campervans out there for as little as £10,000 – and some for much less!
- Van Life – The Call to Adventure – why we think van life is more than just travelling from A to B and how it meets a need for adventure that is programmed into our DNA. Here we’ll also tell you about our old VW van and cover things like campervan conversion and looking after your motorhome throughout the year
- Advice on Buying an Older Motorhome – here we look more deeply at the things you must check for when inspecting a used RV
- Road Trip Tips and Ideas – planning a road trip and making sure your campervan is up to the task. Plus, see the essential items we always carry in our van and read the stories of the spectacular routes and day drives we’ve taken in the UK
- Wild Camping in a Motorhome – if you’ve not ventured into the wild yet, find out how to do it right, stay safe, and keep out of trouble
- Campsite Advice – understanding UK campsite rules and regulations and the different types of campsites plus a look at other options such as Britstops, Search for Sites and Aires
- Motorhome Rental – if you’re thinking of renting a motorhome or campervan for a UK staycation (or a road trip around Europe) we’ll highlight the vital questions you need to ask any RV rental company before you go
- Van Life Health and Wellbeing – ideas and practises to keep you physically fit and mentally healthy on the road – especially important for full-time van-lifers or if you’re touring for extended periods
- Pilgrimages and Spiritual Journeys – tips and ideas about how to turn ordinary road trips into deeply meaningful, memorable, and even spiritual experiences by following some ancient routes and visiting some of the UK’s most sacred places
Older campervans and motorhomes: what you need to know
One of the main points we hope to get across on this site and in our newsletters is that motorhoming – and the freedom it brings – can be done on a budget…
You don’t need to spend tens of thousands of pounds on a motorhome! There are plenty of good older vans out there as we highlight in our vintage RV and campervan galleries where you’ll see a £350 Mercedes Sprinter that took its owner all over Europe! Yes, just £350!
If you’re in the process of searching for a motorhome, our gallery and rough price guide will give you some idea of what you might be able to find – without needing to take out a second mortgage!
Going to look at a used motorhome or campervan? Download our FREE RV INSPECTION CHECKLIST so you won’t miss a thing
Road trips, pilgrimages, and spiritual journeys in the UK
As you delve deeper into our site you’ll get a flavour of our van life philosophy.
Every trip contains the seeds of ancient wisdom, as if the ancestors are tempting you out of your comfort zone and into unknown worlds, inviting you to try to understand this human journey a little bit better.
We see our old van as travel guide, teacher and guru, leading us to where we need to go and what we need to learn about life.
This is what van life can do for you. Freedom flows through your veins when you turn the key.
Since getting our motorhome she’s taken us all over England, Scotland and Wales and we’re looking forward to our first journey across the water to Ireland, France, or Germany.
But when time is short, we’re more than happy to stay local and enjoy the peace and beauty of the Suffolk Coast.
Thinking about hiring a motorhome?
If you’re really keen to get into van life but haven’t found the right vehicle yet, have you considered hiring a motorhome or campervan?
You can hire a good-sized vehicle for a lot less than you think. You’ll have an epic adventure and on top of that, RV rental offers you something else…
Renting an RV gives you the opportunity to ‘try before you buy’, just to see if you actually like van life. (It’s a lot cheaper than splashing out thousands on your own motorhome, only to find out you hate being in a van!)
However – and this is the important bit – there are several things you need to know before you go ahead and hire a motorhome…
We highlight all you need to ask a motorhome hire company before hitting the road.
Health and wellbeing for life on the road
If you live fulltime on the road in your van, you’ll know how important it is to stay mentally healthy.
The truth is that van life and motorhome living is not always sunny skies and stunning scenery!
You’ve only got to watch the film, Nomadland, to see what we mean. Just as with a more conventional lifestyle, van life has its own challenges and sometimes us motorhomers can feel run down, overwhelmed, or stressed out.
Our van life health and wellbeing section aims to address that.
Feeling better in yourself – physically and mentally – will help you enjoy your van life adventures even more.
With Hobo Gav being a trained hypnotherapist with over 20 years’ experience, we’ll look at several ways to keep you physically and mentally healthy on the road, such as addressing emotional needs, taking time out in nature and practising things like mindfulness, meditation, and self-hypnosis to deal with things like van life stress.
Motorhome gifts and accessories
If you already have a van of your own you will, at some point, want to buy some accessories for it. We’ve bought a number of things over the last five years, from simple products costing just a few pounds, to more expensive items like solar panels.
So, whether it’s cheap essentials you’re after before you hit the road or more expensive items like satnavs, we’ve got it all in our motorhome gifts and accessories shop. There are over 100 great van life gifts that make perfect presents for your van life friends!
Tap on the t-shirt below to go to our main shop page where you’ll find motorhome gadgets, kitchenware, cleaning products, clothing, interior decor ideas, and a motorhome miscellany of products we use and recommend…
Best books for holiday reading and the latest motorhome news
One of the things we love to do – especially when the weather is not so good – is to hunker down in the van with a cup of tea and a good book.
In our Favourite Van Life and Travel Books we review some of what we think are the best books in the genre from authors such as Raynor Winn, Robert MacFarlane, Martin Dorey and other best-selling writers.
We add new reviews regularly so bookmark the page and check back often! You’ll certainly find some inspiration for your next road trip adventure.
Or if you’ve only got time for shorter news articles check out our collection of the latest van life stories and motorhome news. (Each month we collate the best RV news stories and put them all in one place for you).
Any questions? Just get in touch
As we’re always adding new content to this site, subscribe to our free monthly newsletter to be the first to know about it. Plus, you’ll get exclusive content that’s not on this site.
Remember to check out our Frequently Asked Questions page which (we hope) will answer most of your questions about van life and motorhoming.
If you have any other questions (or have some suggestions for new content you’d like to see on this site) please contact us. We welcome all enquiries.